Spring 2013

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Welcome to the blog ;)!



Hi Friends and Family - if you are reading this you more than likely know that Justin and I have been wanting a baby of our own for quite some time.  A few months ago, after much prayer, Justin and I both made the decision to adopt.  We decided I would start this blog because everyones been asking us SO many quesitons about it (ha! and I LOVE that - i love to talk about it but we thought this would sometimes be an easier way to relay info than repeating the same stories over and over ;) ) I'd be lying if I said we weren't scared - we are scared, nervous, anxious, excited all in one!  If you know me you know I LOVE kids - there's nothing more important to me than the children in our life!  If you know Justin then you know he is still a big kid himself - ha! and he loves kids of ALL ages - the kids he teaches/coachs he GENUINELY cares about and loves - he is fiercely loyal and if he loves you he will always be there for you!  He will be an amazing dad one day!  Since we attended our training day at the adoption agency last week - we both have been asked a lot of questions about it.  The agency we are using lets the birthmom pick us so the wait time could be 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years ??? Its basically all in Gods' hands we truly believe!  We really are beginning to understand this is what God wants for our lives - I know we will see that when we look in our babies eyes!  I am NOT a patient person so this is hard - we must be patient and wait for the right person to come along who feels we would make the best parents to bless us with the gift of their child.  If you are like me you don't know much about adoption, I am still learning a lot - we are just taking this day by day and praying that God will bless us with a sweet baby in His perfect timing!  We have started with the paperwork.....  we've made copies of tax returns, pay stubs, marriage license, had referral letters wrote on behalf of us, filled out 35 pages worth of questions - its tough those of you that have babies of your own don't normally have to answer quesitons like: - what goals do you have for your baby, - who will raise your baby if something happens to you and your husband, - how do you feel about daycares and do you plan to work when you have a baby?  These are all questions you usually think about but don't necessarily have to answer.  This definitly feels like the toughest "test" we've ever taken - but we KNOW its well worth it!  We are currently putting together a portfolio - storybook of our lives that our birthmom will look through to decide if she chooses us to be her babies parents.  We still have to have the fire department come to our house to do a review and I need to order a credit report for both of us - ha!  I'm telling you its all a little overwhelming but I know its all done to make sure our baby is in GREAT hands!  We are EXCITED about this journey, we are hopeful, we are faithful, we are thankful for the amazing support we have of our family and friends - thanks for reading our blog and I'll do my best to update this with exciting news!


I am SO proud of this picture! This is our best friends little boy Cade - he surprised us with a drawing on our driveway of Justin and I and our two kids he says we will adopt - needless to say when I walked outside this brought tears to my eyes - it was sweet and i really love this picture more than sweet Cade knows!

8 comments:

  1. Super excited that you started a blog!! And beyond excited about your upcoming journey to adoption and the story God is writing for your family! Praying for you guys and am here when you need to talk.

    "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" 1 Corinthians 2:9

    Blessings,
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather, for sharing such an emotional and intimate detail of your life. You are so brave, but just know that there will be so many more supporters and prayers coming your way. I love blogging, and I know you will too. Sometimes it is even therapeutic to journal your life. Plus, once your sweet baby is older, he or she will be able to look back and read about your journey to finding them. I am so excited for you and Justin!!

    Good luck with everything, and I am praying for an easy, quick, and successful adoption! I look forward to reading your blog!!

    Stephanie (Ollar) Stovall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather, this is such a wonderful update!!! :) You will be a GREAT mom!! The birth mother doesn't know it yet, but she is making the best decision of her life to have you two there to love this baby! What a lucky baby, whose life would really have been a different situation without you.

    Hey, do you remember Jill Gates from Argyle Elementary? She now goes by Jillian Weiss on Facebook. She has three daughters now, but the 2nd one was adopted from Vietnam at 6 months 3, I think. Anyway, Jillian (she doesn't go by Jill anymore) and her husband started a blog about their adoption process from beginning, middle, end. Whew, very interesting! Anyway, if you don't already have her as a Friend on Facebook, you may want to get in touch with her. I really learned alot and ejoyed learnining about the little stresses and huge blessings about adoption. Good luck to you both!

    Hugs! Jennie (Langford) Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I just noticed a typo above. I meant to say their adopted daughter, Savannah, was adopted at 6 months and is now about 3 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Andi - you will never know how much you have inspired me and helped me with this journey through your words and pictures and emotions!!!
    Stephanie - thank you very much - we are scared yet excited at the same time - sharing something to intimate and personal was a hard decision to make but I'm already happy we did - we need the support our friends and family can give us and I love any advice I can get and we've already learned there are others going through the same thing we are - we might have never known this had we not decided to be public about it - so who knows maybe we can help someone else with our being open about our journey! :) thank you again very much Stephanie!
    oh Jenny - my very first best friend! ;) - thank you so much for your encouraging words! I knew Jill had adopted but don't know much about their story I do look forward to reading their blog - its an amazing journey and now that we have our hearts committed - we are truly excited and feel like this is what God always had designed for us! thank you all for your words - we can use all the advice, encouragement and support we can get! :) love, j and h

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    I am SOOOOOO excited we have reconnected this way. We went to orientation this morning, and now we too are in a mad dash to get everything completed. The next seminar for our agency is October 23rd, so we just need to get all of our ducks in a row so that we can attend. I am so happy that we will be able to experience this journey at the same time. I think being in contact with other people going through the same process at the same time will make the waiting a little bit easier. I will pray for you guys as well, and we really appreciate your willingness to pray for us. I completely agree that it will all be worth while when we are each holding our babies in our arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,
    My sister forwarded me your blog. We too are actually adopting, though we are doing an international adoption. I know we are very excited, nervous, anxious, and pretty much every other emotion out there :) Best of luck with your own adoption. I will try and check back to follow you guys through your adoption journey.
    ~Jennifer McReynolds Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Jennifer I just now saw this!!! Best of luck to you too!!! it is certainly a roller coaster of emotions!!! any new on yalls?? sorry i just saw this, I am not good at the blog stuff yet!! :)

    ReplyDelete